Donner Party Hike Saturday Oct. 14, 2017
Explore scenic Donner Summit with local historians on interpretive walks and hikes.
Trace the steps of the emigrants, imagine the clip-clop of oxen and the rumble of wagons of the countless pioneers who scaled the mighty Sierra Nevada in search of a better life. Hikes depart from Sugar Bowl ski area.
On Saturday choose from one of six hikes ranging from 3.5 to 6 miles with varying degree of difficulty. Explore the trails, see petroglyphs or the China Wall. Stroll through meadows or discover hidden Sierra lakes. Back this year -Railroad History and tour of the Railroad Snowsheds. In the afternoon enjoy a hamburger lunch and presentation.
Choice of hikes range from:
- Donner Peak / Coldstream Pass - Moderate, 5.7 miles round trip. New for 2017, this hike will take guests up to Donner Peak and experience Coldstream Pass. This hike should not be confused with the old Coldstream hike offered in years prior. Talks will include Coldstream Pass, Pacific Crest Trail and area history.
- Railroad Snowsheds - Moderate, 4-6 miles round trip. Explore the railroad snowsheds. Find out about tunnel6 and the amazing men that laid the tracks. Pass by the china wall and learn about the engineering feat.
- Summit Meadows - Moderate, 4 miles. Hikers skirt by Lake Norden with stops to see rock with mortars and other remnants of emigrants passing thru.
- Summit Canyon / Dutch Flat Wagon Road - Moderate and about 3.5 miles in length. Explore Dutch Flat Donner Lake Wagon Road and the Lincoln Highway. Pass petroglyphs, roadside billboards and the China Wall. Find out where and why these roads were built. This hike is one way. Hikers will be bused back to Sugar Bowl Mt. Judah Lodge.
- High Sierra Lakes - Moderate / Strenuous, 6 miles round trip. Enjoy incredible vistas seen by emigrants as they passed through the High Sierra years ago. Discover hidden alpine lakes while exploring Donner Summit.
- Rollers Pass / Judah Loop - Moderate / Strenuous, 6 miles round trip. Hike up the Pacific Crest Trail to see views of Donner Pass, Coldstream Pass and Roller Pass where emigrants were forced to winch their wagons up a 35-degree granite slope. Continue up to the top of Mt. Judah and on to Donner Peak before descending back to Mt. Judah lodge.
Offered By: Just Imagine Marketing and Design
Leave a comment if you have a review or feedback.